The idea of "garbage miles" popped up the other day and I've been mulling over the idea ever since. I mean are there really any "garbage miles"? I commute to work at least four days a week, thirty miles a day which constitutes the bulk of my training. I don't do a whole lot of intervals, I certainly don't do them with any consistency, I mainly just ride mostly at moderate exertion levels. Sometimes I push it a little harder and sometimes I just spin comfortably. No charts, no graphs, no databases, no heart rate monitor, my bike computer is used mostly for the clock and speedometer (I even took off the cadence sensor) just alot of riding. So I guess most of my commuting miles should be considered garbage miles, but I don't buy it.
I find any strict training regimen tedious and boring. It could be argued that is the reason I'll never be anything but an amateur racer, but actually it is really simpler than that. I only came to this sport about five years ago . . . at the age of 45, so yes that would make me . . . well do the math . . . that is the reason I'll never have a sponsorship deal with exception of maybe Viagra, or Depends and who wants those logos all over their riding kit?
Relentlessly sticking to any kind of training plan just isn't in my genes. I've tried and failed. I ride to work for my sanity, driving and traffic drive me nuts. I ride for my health. I ride because I simply love riding. I put in around 120 miles a week commuting. Add another 50 to 100 on the weekends and I'm looking at quite a few garbage miles every week but life without them would be so much less enjoyable. So garbage miles ? I'll take them. I'd be far worse without them.
I'll find out in a few weeks if they've been any benefit at my first solo endurance test, Dawn til Dusk in Gallup on April 11th.
So excuse me while I take out the garbage, I have some training to do.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment