Great morning for the ride to work. Coolish - mid-40's - just a slight breeze but nothing compared to the last few days. Mom nature gives us a respite today but tomorrow she is supposed to kick in those winds again. I've been feeling the affects of the wind born dust, assorted pollens and other allergens and I don't even suffer from allergies.
Took half a day off of work yesterday to care my back injured, semi-bed-ridden better-half and completely broke my training diet with a Carl's Kentucky Bourbon six-dollar burger, fries and coke. 970 calories (440 from fat) for the burger alone, I don't even want to know about the fries and coke now . . . tasted so good and I was guilt-ridden the rest of the day. Beef . . . it's what sits in your colon putrifying for days on end.
Back on the bike this morning and the legs still felt heavy despite two days off since my 50+ miles on Saturday. The first few miles were the worse. By the time I finished the morning commute, my legs were starting to fire on both pistons again.
I've incorporated some core strengthening exercises into my training program. After riding on a bad back in the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, I realized how much I needed to focus on that part of my body. I was miserable during my laps at the race and never want to feel like that again. So far I think it might be paying off as my four plus hours on Saturday were virtually back-pain free. I brought an exercise ball in to work to use for alternate seating during my most recent back issues and it serves as a visual reminder to do some core work everyday. I've also taken to spending a good portion of my normally sedentary work days standing at my desk rather than sitting which has also seemed to help tremendously with my back problems. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment