Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wind, Wind and More Wind

Tuesday's ride home was into a pretty good headwind which is the norm for March and April in Tucson but it does make for a long, grueling ride at times. You might think, as I do, that I'd be accustomed to the headwind by now but it never fails to frustrate and annoy. Despite Monday's layoff, my legs were feeling the fight by the time I made it home.

Last night, the wind was more out of the north northwest, so taking advantage of the mostly cross-wind, I seized the opportunity and time-trialed the river path on my westward journey home. Kept up a pretty good 19-22 mph pace for the short 5 mile stretch. The great thing about the river path is that there are no traffic lights and it is mostly flat, just about perfect for time trialing.

With the promise of more wind, red-flag warnings and 20-30 mph winds gusting up to 45 today, I wussed out this morning and drove part way to work. I took the singlespeed to at least give me some semblance of a workout. Still waiting for my new "egg-beaters" to arrive replacing the pedals I tore up last weekend so I had to throw on an old pair of mallet pedals this morning. With all the road construction on Mountain Avenue, I even hit a bit of dirt along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment