Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Car Free for Three

So my latest brainstorm, as indicated in the title, is to go "car free" for three months.  Now that I've built up my 1x9 commuter,  it is time to rededicate myself to being predominately a cyclist. It isn't as though I've been a slouch,  I still commute at least four days a week (120 miles) but I'm feeling I need a challenge and what better way than to challenge myself with something I love to do.  And as I don't see any opportunities in the short range for any endurance races anywhere close, I've decided to throw down the gauntlet, to myself, which is quite different from self-flagellation and offer up this challenge, this opportunity to rise above the ordinary and do something extraordinary for myself, for my psyche and yes altruistically for the planet as I will significantly reduce my carbon footprint.

 I'm still developing my rules to the game but basically,  any place I have to go I will go sans car. Meaning,  I will walk,  bike, or take public transportation to get there.  Will I still ride in a car? Since I'm unlikely to talk anyone else, namely Lisa, to partake in this venture then on occasion it will be necessary to ride in a car but as long as there are at least two people in the car that would qualify, in my world and this is after all my game, my rules, as an HOV vehicle which is in the spirit of the game.  Additionally, as my job oft times requires me to travel to other areas of the state,  I will have to make provisions for those instances. Essentially, I will use my bike for commuting and running any errands that I would normally use a car and/or when I would be the only occupant of the vehicle.

Originally I'd considered a goal of one year but that may not be realistic.  Then I came up with the "Car Free" slogan and "for Three" just kind of rolled off the tongue.  Since three days is too short as I regularly go far more days than three without a car and three weeks still doesn't seem like a challenge,  three months just seemed to fit.

Just as I formulated this concept yesterday,  I began having back spasms.  I'm  not sure exactly what that indicates but I've been cruising along mostly pain free for a couple of months now when suddenly I'm struck by nearly debilitating back pain.  It was so bad that I had to have Corinne pick me up early from work yesterday as I was unable to sit nor ride my bike home.  

Luckily,  I do feel better today and  a trip to the chiropractor helped as well.  The way I was feeling yesterday,  I thought for sure I would be laid up for several days as that has been my history.  As it stands now,  I'm hoping to get back on the bike either tomorrow or the next day. It is good having sick days at my disposal.  I have 25 hours that I can burn if necessary (three days) for this episode.

So when do I begin my Car Free for Three challenge ?  I'm looking at May 1st as a good start date.

No comments:

Post a Comment