Thursday, April 23, 2009

Moseying Along

So I slouched off again yesterday under the guise of giving the back another day off the bike and off my ass, as in sitting, which is the one position I can't maintain for any length of time when my back is acting up . . . bad back . . . bad, stop acting up!

Unfortunately I have a "desk" job so sitting is pretty much what I'm required to do all day at work. I manage to stand at my desk as much as possible and use the exercise ball as a chair which minimizes the lower back issues. Yesterday, I put in a few hours working from home alternating between sitting (again on the exercise ball), standing and laying down. Actually managed to get some real work done to boot so its all good.

The combination of muscle relaxers (Skelaxin), ibuprofen, ice, rest and a quick trip to the chiropractor managed to temper the severity of this back episode and in record time. Last night I popped the top off a few Stella-Artois muscle-relaxers as part of my rehab/therapy which had a profound effect on not only my back but my head too. I normally have to ride these things out for a week or two before I have any real relief but here I am, day four and I'm virtually pain free.

Back on the bike this morning for a spectacular commute. I ride so much more relaxed on the 1x9. With its big tires, heavy cro-mo frame and panniers it is just a go slow and enjoy the ride type bike. Normally, when I'm zipping along on my road bike I tend to put more effort into my rides turning them more into workouts than commutes. Must be the sports car syndrome, they are built for speed so it is almost criminal to drive them any other way. But with the 1x9, I can just mosey along at a nice comfortable pace and not feel guilty about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment