My 1x9 converted singlespeed is now officially a fully geared touring bike. I finished installing the cable stop for the front derailleur with my trusty JBWeld last weekend. And after a quick rattle-can touch up on the paint, I robbed Peter to pay Paul by confiscating the front derailleur and crankset from my Specialized Rockhopper to install on the Raleigh XXIX.
I know all of you die-hard singlespeeders are looking down your upturned noses in disgust at my sacrilegious despoiling of a perfectly good 29'er SS but neither my checkbook nor my wife were receptive to yet another bike purchase. So for well under $200.00 (150.00 for a new rear wheel), I've built the perfect bike to do the Tour of the PCH and I can always go back to SS mode should the urge strike. That is truly the beauty and functionality of the Raleigh, I basically have 3 bikes in one. The SS, the 1x9 and now the touring bike.
Next up, the new rear rack has been ordered and goes on as soon as it arrives. With no rackmounts, I will have to again use a combination of ingenuity and ready-made problem solvers to get everything installed and functional. But first, my mini-vacation starts today with a four day weekend.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment